Port Dickson » Info »



(30 June 2000) About a century ago, Port Dickson town was a part of the ocean, during the high water tide, the water might raise up to the railway near Jalan Lama. In those time, both streets of Jalan Baru and Jalan Raja Aman Shah did not yet exist.

In the earlier time, Port Dickson was called "Tanjong" in Malay language that means "cape". The oldest shoplots were the four situated at Jalan Lama. There was also carbon mine at first mile of the coast road (Jalan Pantai), and therefore Port Dickson was also called "Arang" in Malay language that means "charcoal".

In those time, the British have foreseen the great potential of Port Dickson, thus built a harbor in replacement for the existing port in Pengkalan Kempas. Because the in-charge officer's name was Dickson, thereafter it was named Port Dickson until today. In the picture, Jalan Baru was built in 1927. There were only 5 shop lots counting from today's Standard Chartered Bank.

If you have better and clearer pictures of the old PD, please share with us!